Diener-Ivers Basketball Inc.
(T): @DienerIversboys / @DienerIversgals
I have always had a love for kids and the game of basketball going back to 6 years old thanks to my father & naturally just loving all aspects of the game. I remember being out on the driveway regardless of weather or in the gym simulating different college basketball players and teams to better myself as a player. During these times, I pretended to be Coach Fisher’s Michigan teams 1989-early 1990’s. I took that same approach and taught my brother the game. A lot of times, he and I would take a HS team in the area and go through a state tournament simulation as well. There are so many things you can learn working on your game in this environment. As time went on, that amount of time spent allowed me to compete well in AAU, grade school and in High School.
I have always attended HS basketball and college games since being little. I always loved looking at teams play and knowing the players on those specific teams. I took a lot of notes and used my father as a guide, along with other family members who played the sport of basketball to see if I was on point with evaluations.
Fast forward from childhood through High School, I was a four-year letter winner for football and basketball. I was the Team MVP in Basketball in 1998 and 1999. I was one of the team captain(s) in both basketball and football. I was All-Conference in Football and in Basketball averaging nearly 12 ppg & 5 rebs per game in the ever-competitive old Parkland Conference in WI. I ended up going the football route in college versus playing small college basketball.
There were a number of things that pointed at me being undervalued in both sports including basketball just like many kids that play the game are. Surely, I could have never played at the highest level, but was around enough players NAIA, NCAA III, II, I to know talent levels. My heart has pulled me to stay close to the game of basketball for this reason.
To me, there is nothing like trying to project a player whether you are 100% accurate or not. It is not an exact science or art, but it is a challenge that I take seriously and since I cannot play anymore, I use the evaluation piece to help kids & in a non-braggadocios statement, I have good accuracy in projecting.
Hopefully, as a coach & evaluator of talent in an unbiased manner, I can have a little bit of impact on the game of basketball by helping kids chase their dream to play at the next level while still respecting the team element.
Being still involved in the game is only possible because of John Shulman (Current NCAA II Head Coach at The University of Alabama-Huntsville). He and I talked during my Master’s internship at NCAA I Chattanooga while he was the head coach taking two teams to the NCAA Tournament. It was one of those eye-opening moments as Coach Shulman was preparing for a game vs Georgia Tech one day & graciously listened to my story. Post the conversation – he said, “get yourself up to that mountain, NOW! There is a college up there (Covenant College, GA). Go help Coach Taylor (current Head Coach at NJCAA D1 power Salt Lake C.C. & help him get some players. I drove up the mountain asap & hours later Kyle Taylor offered me an opportunity to coach college basketball. I owe a lot to Coach Taylor too.
2011 NCAA I Southern Conference Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Served as an assistant with our radio and television broadcast partners Coordinated the set-up of media work center, press row and post-event press conferences
- Served as an assistant with our radio and television broadcast partners
- McKenzie Arena venue assisted with coordinating set up
- Worked with sensitive subject matter, while making sure student-athletes & coaches were accommodated for, while fostered positive relationships with area media correspondents to promote Southern Conference athletics
College Coaching Experience
- NCAA III Covenant College (Georgia) / Assistant Basketball Coach / Lead Recruiting Coordinator / Responsible for all travel within the men’s basketball program i.e. hotels, meals, assisting with High School / AAU tournament travel to recruit players to Covenant College
- Hiwassee College (TN) NCCAA / Former NJCAA I Powerhouse. Head Assistant Coach / Recruiting Coordinator. Responsible for game scheduling, scouting reports, all team travel, AAU or HS recruiting schedule, assisted with practice planning, developed strength and conditioning program, video scouting, video exchange & video breakdown. We Beat a solid Covenant College (NCAA III) in Mid-East Regional the following year
- Mid-Continent University (KY) NAIA. Associate Head Coach / In Charge of Basketball operations, scheduling Recruiting & game planning. MCU shut their doors in 2014
- Helped improve wins year over year at Covenant College (GA). Was responsible for bringing in the top two recruits in the Class of 2012
- Doubled wins year over year and made it to the NCCAA Mid-East Final vs NAIA Division I school. Coach Nelson and our staff had NCAA I Charleston Southern tied at half. Upset Nationally ranked #17 Tennessee Wesleyan (NAIA 2) in Athens, Tennessee. Signed top 4 recruits for Class of 2013
- NAIA Division I Mid-Continent University (Kentucky). Accepted Head Coach position and Director of Operations role to turn around program and bring in a Christian atmosphere & blueprint to recruit and win. School closed in 2014
High School Coaching Experience
- Head Freshman Boys Basketball Coach / Varsity Boys Basketball Assistant Coach @ Martin Luther High School in Greendale, WI
- Part of 2018-19 WIAA Division III State Championship Title helping out with Varsity Boys Basketball for Coach Wollersheim when available per obligation at the time to full time business to business director of sales business development position
- 2018-19 Record 14-6 (12-2) Freshman Conference Champions
- 2020-21 Record 11-8 (8-2)
- 2021-22 Record 13-9 (7-7)
- M.S. Sports Administration; Canisius College (NY)
- B.A. Communications & Marketing; Western Illinois University
“Partnering up with future Hall of Fame Boys Basketball Coach at Muskego, Milwaukee Vincent, Milwaukee Hamilton and Cedarburg HS, Tom Diener is something I never would have imagined possible and is certainly a privilege. We will aim to provide a credible service to families across the board and in turn connect them with a specific college or university coaching staff further helping them achieve their dreams.”
Basketball Coaching Quotes
“Coach Ivers is a gym rat AND an exceptional evaluator of talent! That combination is tough to beat in the world of recruiting services. The details he provides on each players’ skill set, projected level of play, personal and academic profile, as well as contact info is second to none. His knowledge of prospects in the state of Wisconsin in particular is outstanding. Definitely a service worth subscribing too!”
– Kyle Taylor, NJCAA D1 Head Coach, Former NCAA I assistant, former NCAA III Head Coach/AD
“Coach Ivers is an avid recruiter and was able to connect in a various communication formats including social media so that we could get in the door with many players. He is a sponge and a lover of all things basketball.
This great desire to expand his basketball knowledge is illustrated by his extensive contacts in the world of college coaching. He is in contact seeking advice and mentoring from many D-I & D-2 coaches. Ivers has a keen eye for talent on the various levels of collegiate play and is fearless in making the contact with prospective student-athletes. A background in business to business sales gives him the advantage of never meeting a stranger.”
– Rodney Nelson, Blount County, TN High School Basketball Hall of Fame 2018 Inductee